YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION – GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
GDPR is bringing in new legal protection for personal information from May 2018. This tells you what personal information I hold, in paper form and on my website, why, and what your rights are.
Practitioner Name/Identity: Melissa Long, Melissa Long Therapies
Contact Address: 1 Clark’s Place, Trowbridge BA14 7HA
Telephone No: 07434 962435
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Data Controller Contact Details: As above.
The Purpose of processing Client Data
In order to give professional treatments, I will need to gather and retain potentially sensitive information about your health. I will only use this information for informing the treatments and associated recommendations concerning aspects of health and wellbeing which I will offer to you.
I take basic contact details and information via my website to allow me to contact you and handle bookings.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
If you have left a comment you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Lawful Basis for holding and using Client Information
The lawful basis under which I hold and use your information my legitimate interests i.e.my requirement to retain the information in order to provide you with the best possible treatment options and advice.
a) my requirement to hold your information for the following legal reasons:
- ‘claims occurring’ insurance.
- law regarding children’s records.
As I hold special category data (i.e. health related information), the Additional Condition under which I hold and use this information is: for me to fulfil my role as a health care practitioner.
What information I hold and what I do with it
In order to give professional treatments, I will need to ask for and keep information about your health. I will only use this for informing the treatments I offer and any advice I give as a result of your treatment. The information to be held is:
1 Clark’s Place, Trowbridge BA14 7HA
- Your contact details
- Medical history and other health-related information
- Treatment details and related notes (which I will take during each consultation)
I will NOT share your information with anyone else (other than within my own practice, or as required for legal process) without explaining why it is necessary and getting your explicit consent. Your information will be stored in a locked filing cabinet, and any electronic information on a computer will be password protected.
How Long I Retain Your Information for
I will keep your information for the following period;
- ‘claims occurring’ insurance: (records to be kept for 7 years after last treatment)
- law regarding children’s records (records to be kept until the child is 25 or if 17 when treated, then 26)
- Your data will not be transferred outside the EU without your consent.
Protecting Your Personal Data
I am committed to ensuring that your personal data is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, I have put in place appropriate technical, physical and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect from you.
I will contact you using email/phone or text unless you specifically ask me not to. This contact will be with regards to;
- Appointment times
- Information related to your health or treatments
GDPR gives you the following rights:
- The right to be informed: To know how your information will be held and used (this notice).
- The right of access: To see records of your personal information, so you know what is held about you and can verify it.
- The right to rectification: To tell me to make changes to your personal information if it is incorrect or incomplete.
- The right to erasure (also called “the right to be forgotten”): For you to request I erase any information held about you.
- The right to restrict processing of personal data: You have the right to request limits on how I use your personal information, however this may impact the quality of your treatment.
- The right to data portability: under certain circumstances you can request a copy of personal information held electronically so you can reuse it in other systems.
- The right to object: To be able to tell me you don’t want me to use certain parts of your information, or only to use it for certain purposes, such as sharing information with another practitioner that is treating you.
The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office:
To be able to complain to the ICO if you feel your details are not correct, if they are not being used in a way that you have given permission for, or if they are being stored when they don’t have to be.
Full details of your rights can be found here. If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please use the contact details given above.
If you are dissatisfied with the response you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Their contact details are at: www.ico.org.uk
- if you don’t agree to me keeping records of information about you and your treatments, or if you don’t allow me to use the information in the way needed for treatments, I may not be able to treat you.
- I have to keep your records of treatment for a certain period as described above, which may mean that even if you ask me to erase any details about you, I may have to keep these details until after that period has passed.
- I can move your records between computers and any other IT/phone systems I use, as long as your details are protected from being seen by others without your permission.I have provided consent on the core consent form and agree to you holding and using my information as outlined above and understand that I may withdraw that consent at any time by emailing you. By signing the consent form, you are agreeing that you have read and understood this document.I also understand that if at any time I wish you to share my information with another practitioner I will need to give you email or hand written permission to do so.